Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Notions Fascination Playmat: Shoelace Tie

Ok, so today is a little bit easier... we'll focus on the: SHOELACE TIE.

So, this was basically a rectangular piece of scrap fabric that I found to start me off.  I was going to finish the edges by incorporating a white fabric border, but as you can see in the final result, I decided to scrap that idea when I found a really lovely coordinating grosgrain ribbon instead.

Now, I have had an eyelet tool since I designed my own wedding invitations back in 2007 (I had these pretty little heart eyelets that held the vellum paper onto my Stardream paper backing... but more on that another time).  You can find eyelet tools at many of the craft stores - I believe I got mine from Hobby Lobby.  I bought these simple eyelets from Hancock Fabrics, but again, you can find them at many of the craft stores.

Ok, so to start, mark the 6 different areas on your fabric where you will be wanting your eyelets situated (3 pairs of two side-by-side eyelets).  Once you've marked where you want them, carefully make a hole big enough to fit your eyelet in (I started by piercing through my marks with thumb tacks and moved up from there.  Once the hole is big enough, fit the eyelet in like so:


Now, flip your piece of fabric upside-down to the ugly side where you see the back of the eyelet



Place your eyelet tool (make sure it's the right size tool head for the size eyelets you are using) on the back of your eyelet and, using your rubber mallet, give the eyelet tool a few strong taps at the back end.

I had to use the larger size eyelet tool for the eyelets I used (see above).  Be sure you use the right size!
So, now that you have one eyelet in, repeat for the remaining 5 until all 6 are in securely and you are ready to lace in your ribbon.  I choose a pretty simple yellow and white grosgrain ribbon.  Cut the ribbon longer than you will ultimately need it and lace up in whatever manner you prefer:



Once laced up, tie a pretty bow at the top and cut your excess down to the length you want it to be.  Fray Check the ends of your ribbon to keep them neat and trim...

Decide where you want to put it on your mat and then, take a nice ribbon and hem the ribbon around the edges with a top stitch to secure your shoelace tie to the mat.

It's that easy!  No big deal, right? Right!

Next time, I will post the final pocket: THE ZIPPER POCKET!

No comments:

Post a Comment